Saturday, November 9, 2013

Technology Use by Generation

edu641 mod7

Here is a timeline I created on TimeToast on the history of communication technology. In case it doesn't play here, here is a link to the live timeline.




I could not figure out how to put the generational data into the timeline. So I made an infographic of the data, using Piktochart.  It was a bit of a learning curve and not easy to use, a bit clunky, but after a few hours it seemed easier. I also could not get rid of the logo graphic at the top left that was on the theme I used. I re-created everything else, so I should have started with a blank page.  I needed to import some pictures.  I was using the free account, maybe the paid account would have more icons.  I was trying to fit everything in a confined space, because that is all I could see on the interface, but then at some point it suddenly expanded. It might look better if you can zoom in some. If you drag your cursor over the graphics, the numbers (data) appear!  If you need the link to the chart online it is here. I also just noticed that you can view the infographic in presentation mode by clicking on the icon on the top of the webpage that says Enter Presentation mode, it's very cool!






The data for the chart is here.  Most of the data was obtained from Pew Internet Research.  I found that some of the data was conflicting and repetitive due to it coming from different years.  Also sometimes the age categories overlapped, so it was hard to separate into the exact age groups that we were given. I could not find any information on numbers of email messages per generation.  But I found some other interesting information.  The thing that I found most interesting is the number of teens that have their own cell phones.  But was not able to get SMS info or device ownership for Generation @.

7 comments:

  1. It dawned on me why the piktochart increased in length while I was working on it. It started out as a landscape layout, but I moved some things out of the way and so the website adjusted the format to a portrait layout. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not able to find email usage or smartphone ownership by the generations specified either. I love the Picktochart representation of your results! I will definitely have to give that one a try. The Timetoast also looks cool, and would definitely have use in classrooms. Unfortunately, I can't ask our kids to sign up for accounts, and there is not a Google sign-in for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the info-graphic. I also tried timetoast, and found it tedious to enter the data. I also ran into the same thing, the data was overlapped. It was either very age specific or very broad.

    Great Picktochart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, especially adding pictures. I wish it allowed linking to URL's of pictures rather than having to save them on my computer and then importing into the gallery. Now I have to go delete them from my laptop. But I think this would be a good project (maybe ongoing) for a history class. It would be a good way to learn historical dates and events and see how they relate visually.
      I was playing with Piktochart last night and figured out a couple of things I missed, which will make it easier next time. They do have videos, too,although I didn't watch them. I like the exploration method of learning tools.

      Delete
  4. I love your pictochart! I collected data, but couldn't figure out how to get it all together - I guess I need a refresher on statistics! I found that organizing my data also took hours, but it is nice to hear that other people are spending time learning programs as well. What an awesome opportunity - I already showed Powtoon to my administrators after I created my presentation for Module 4. I realized that I do the same with my kids - I introduce an assignment and a new tool. Then I make sure they have plenty of time to become familiar with the tool in order to demonstrate their learning. I'll have to play around with pictochart over Winter break!
    Great post,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice use of a new tool and great timetoast. I have heard of a lot of other infographic tools. tools I think it is so great to show in images and makes the information that much more real to the end user. I have my kids in 8th grade creating google surveys through forms, and then they are going to try an infographic. I wonder which of the tools I will try with them. I don't want anything too frustrating for them. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim,
    Thanks for the list of tools. Piktochart wasn't too bad, of course I was trying to learn how to use it and finish my chart in time, but afterward I went back and discovered a couple of things I missed, mostly because of being stressed. Like adding blocks to make the page longer.
    I would watch the videos - they have short videos for each step.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete